Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Dreaded Sunny Day, So I Meet You At The Cemetery Gates...

 Dress: Brenna Ballet Dress from Kiyonna via Gwynnie Bee (click on link for a free month)

Cardigan: Lane Bryant

Sandals: Born Crown

Necklace: Babil & Bijou

Earring: etXarte

Photography: Kate 
Who lets me dress myself? I thought I looked pretty, but bright...Kate immediately hated the color combination. I'm not sure what I'm disliking about these photos, but I wouldn't wear this outfit again. This is one really great thing about having a blog. I get to look at a lot of pictures of myself & I see entirely different things then when I look in the mirror. 

This dress by Kiyonna is incredibly comfortable and soft (I could't stop feeling it!), but too big. I would get it in the next size down (4) and wear it with a leopard cardigan.
Sandals
I wore this outfit on Sunday to The Talking Spirits Cemetery Tour XV. This is something Kate & I used to do every year, but we haven't been since the tour was in the single digits. It is put on by the Wisconsin Veterans Museum & concentrates on a specific war each year, this one was the Civil War. The guide stops at various gravestones to talk about the people buried there and at some of the sites there are actors that portray interesting people from that era and they tell us their stories. 
This was my favorite character this year, Benjamin Butts. He was a former slave and was 11 years old when slaves were freed. He ended up traveling with the soldiers for a year & when the troop disbanded, Major Butts asked the 12 year old Benjamin what would become of him & asked if he'd like to come home to live with him and his family in Richland Center, WI. He was separated from his parents and never knew what happened to them. When Benjamin was 17, he moved to Madison to look for work and ended up opening a barber shop on the capitol square where he cut the hair of politicians. His son went to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and was the first black football player on their team. 
Kate's friend, John, was taking photos (with this lovely lady assistant), so we got one done. Unfortunately, this unflattering shot was the best of the 3. I guess we need to practice our camera faces in the mirror or something...the assistant looked good in all 3 pictures. We LOVED the hats. I think next year we should have a crafternoon and make fancy Easter hats! 

No comments:

Post a Comment